"She is known for her project-based work, addressing questions of sexuality, identity and
historical memory in the form of large-scale narrative installations. She studied painting in Florence,
Italy, in the sixties, and then taught art in Beirut, Lebanon during a time of intense cultural activity
known as the “golden age.” In 1968, at the peak of the student movements in Europe, she moved to
London, England to continue postgraduate study at St. Martinʼs School of Art. There, she began her
long-term critique of conceptualism, informed by the feminist theory of the early womenʼs movementin which she was actively involved throughout the 1970s." (http://www.rosamundfelsen.com/bio_pdf/kelly/Mary_Kelly.pdf)
I found a video of her describing a photo that she always liked and how she put a grid on it and used the grid to show other things on in the photo. the sound quality isn't the best but if you listen carefully its pretty cool. She is 100% artist because she is a little scattered brained but her work is pretty cool.
She has won 11 awards over the span of 31 years, awards in the States and in England. She has 25 exhibits all over the states and Europe. Her work is amazing. She uses the her feminist background in her work, she is saying yes we have come a long with way but there is still more to achieve as woman in this world still ruled by a man. her work is great because it shows that for being her age that she uses today's technology and new techniques for her work. She is open minded not scared to try new things. I think that's awesome because it keeps her fans on their toes by not knowing what to expect with her art work. I think is also wonderful because she has lived in amazing areas during very intriguing times which of course reflect in her work. She uses all her resources and experiences in her stuff which makes her stand out more than other artists, She can even say that her art work was around when Jackson pollack was along with my other artist Chuck close. Now speaking of Chuck Close i found it to be a small world since in the video above she talks about the grid, which is used by Mr. Close. Artists are sharing their ideas and using them.
This is The Mary Kelly, standing in her light house. She putt messages on it that from the looks of it are things talked about while living in a house and a relationship. I like this because its true, it shows the hardships of living in house with someone you live with for years.
More inside of the "Light house"
Outside the "Light house"
"Flashing Nipple Remix #1" this to me shouts yes I'm woman and nothing will stand in my way to conquer this world.
"Flashing Nipple remix #2"
LED lights to light up her words. I love it. it would make a great night light. :P
LED Lights burning through acrylic I like this one because people who underestimate women need to remember that women give life.
I love Christina and this made me like her more. I totally remember this performance. After she sang, she ended with the heart on her "girl parts" to light up with LED, a hats off to Mary Kelly. Pretty awesome, since this is using another art form to show art.
here is the light up heart.
All in all Mary Kelly is awesome. She is only modern/contemporary art that i like. Its new but its not over the top and its certainly not messy like some modern art, it also tells a story the way art should in my book. I also like Mary Kelly since has a uniform look to here like my favorite costume designer Edith Head.










No comments:
Post a Comment