Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Norton Simon

  Oh how I love the Norton Simon Museum. I've been there now a full 2 times and it doesn't get old. The first time I went I was In high school and went with my french class, we were only allowed to look at the french art and comment on it french. It was fun but annoying because I wasn't allowed to see the whole museum until. I knew Norton Simon had a huge selection and a diverse one at that but boy was I blown away from the diversity. So since I had most of the french art and remembered it I kinda just flew by them. I will not look at this painting ever again in my life:
I have talked about his painting in French for days for my High School class and the trip to the Norton Simon, If I could I would have given the painting the middle finger i would have but I didn't want to get in trouble, I just walked by in disgust.

Compare and Contrast.
The two paintings that I chose were from completely different , time, and even society. The first painting that I decided to choose was Fidelity by Francesco di Giorgio Martini, this was painted around 1480s.
I liked this painting because all of the lines are straight around the main subject, even the designed around the subject are straight or pretty darn close to it. I like how the color is still very vibrant after all these years. Through all the years the boarder that is painted could have been red but have faded to a fuschia which now compliment the subject's light pink dress. The description said about this painting "..implies that the trust and loyalty shared between master and sercant also exists between God and the devout." I have feeling that many viewers of the painting don't see the religous story behind this, rather just see a young girl with her dog, which would trigger many memories for those who grew up with dogs. The story for this painting on surface is just about a young girl and her dog, there is no story that one can find off the surface than that, I don't think. Some may be able to just day dream in it about all kinds of things but for me it was just a girl in a pink dress with her dog, pointing to heaven.  Another thing that I truly love about this painting is her dress; its very free flowing. It doesn't follow the other straight lines of the piece. It makes one's eye focus on her posture showing that she doesn't follow the norm, she isn't standing straight up but slightly angled the like the birth of Venus.

The second painting I chose
is the Piazzetta Scene from the Riva Degli Schiavoni (1835-1843 ) by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. I chose this one because it shows the beauty of Venice from over 150 years. It shows that it was just as beautiful as it is today as back then.
I like this painting because I can get lost in it and day dream for hours and hours. This painting marvelous because it tells many stories from all the people in it. The people next to the columns are just walking and to the left of that you group trying to figure out what to do. Then there is the woman walking straight and she looks like a nun. See many stories one can follow. I really how Corot took a different approach to painting Venice, usually most artist painted from where the pillar are and viewer sees the side of the building that to the right is usually in the background of all the other paintings. I love the colors of this piece, the reds, blues, soft pinks, tans, whites, and browns. They all tie in together really well, also there isn't too much of one single color, many same color scheme but different shades. I love this painting because it depicts an ordinary day on the port of Venice, everyone is doing their own thing to their own horn. No scene was created to make it look fake or scripted. Everyone is just on their own waiting to see what life brings to them.

 The pictures are the same in that they are both have beautiful lines in them. The lines for both paintings outline the subject or subjects.  With
Fidelity the lines are the boarder while in the Piazzetta its the side of the building to the right, the top of the background building and to the left is the sky and parts of the boats. The colors in both paintings are very warm and welcoming. If the pieces were cold, then the meaning of paintings would be completely different. Cold colors for Fidelity would have made the painting seem something close to death since of the time period, most paintings that were cold colored had to with the lost of the something or some one. Where as the Piazzetta, if it were cold colors it would be a storm is brewing.
 The paintings are different in that they have different subjects. The Piazzetta painting has many subjects in it with all the different people doing different motions and directions they are going. Where as in
Fidelity the subject could possible smack you right in the face, she is right up in front and the way she presented one's eye goes straight to her. When one's eye is looking at the Piazzetta, it could look at the person in the right corner near the boats to what that person is doing, or the eye could go to the boats, or it could and look at the deal of the clouds and how they are puffy near the land and as they move out over the sea they flatten out.  I find both paintings very beautiful and the colors really caught my eye. I like both of them because I can myself for hours just day dreaming in both them, letting them take me away on their journey.

Degas Ballerinas
Now I understand that I was suppose to take a picture with the paintings but I kinda got really close to one of the other paintings and according to my boyfriend I got in trouble. So I didn't even try to take a picture with my paintings for the compare and contrast pieces.

 So For Degas I bulit up courage to take a picture because I didn't want to get yelled at again. Now i didn't take my picture with the ever famous Degas Dancer (The one wearing a tutu). I really liked this one because no one was paying attention to it in the museum. Also it shows ballet moves. (I use to do ballet so i liked it doing the end of a grand arabesque). I loved that it had little detail in face and paid attention to the movement of the body, the pointing of the feet, how a ballerina's hips aren't the same another dancer, ballerina's hips are turned out. I also liked that finger prints were visible, he used his hands, not many tools.

(I know my legs are super white, I work in theatre, I never see the sun anymore. :[ )

Well that was my adventure at the Norton Simon.





Sorry its so late, I had major writer's block.

No comments:

Post a Comment